Tampere is the most attractive and among the fastest growing regions in Finland. Around two-thirds of Finland’s economic activity is concentrated within a two-hour drive from Tampere. In Finnish popularity polls, Tampere shines out as the most attractive city!
Tampere in figures
Population & growth:
- Tampere Region has a population of 505,000 which makes it second largest region in Finland just after Helsinki capital region.
- Population of Tampere is estimated to grow with 90,000 inhabitants by 2030.
- City of Tampere will invest over 6 billion euro in the development of the city by 2030.
- Tampere and Tampere Region is applying as the European Capital of Culture 2026.
- 31,000 places of business.
- Tampere Region has the largest concentration of mobile machinery in Europe.
- Tampere is the 6th largest urban area and the largest inland city in the Nordic Countries.
- For companies the key reasons to operate in Tampere Region are good availability of employees, central location and the close connections to universities.
Research & development:
- Tampere is known for education, research and technology.
- At Tampere University, research on technology, health and society come together.
- Up to 15% of Finland’s national R&D budget is spent in the Tampere Region.
- Finland is #1 in the world for IPR according to The World Economic Forum (WEF), Global Competitiveness Report 2014–2015.
- Finland, and Tampere in particular, is known of its strong university-industry collaboration.
- Every 6th person in Tampere is a student.
- There are 36,000 university students and more than 34,000 vocational college or adult students.
- Every 6th student in Tampere University of Technology is international.
- Tampere has been voted for the most student-friendly city in Finland.
- The local Tampere-Pirkkala airport is the second busiest international airport in Finland.
- Helsinki is only 1,5 hour drive away.
- The large Finnish ports on the Gulf of Botnia are even closer.
- Tampere is a logistical gateway to the East, with St. Petersburg just 400 kilometers away.