AI Transformation Hub Tampere
The wide-scale use of data and artificial intelligence is transforming the way businesses, public services and citizens function. We are a part of this transformation, and a catalyst for it.
Finland’s 1st AI Transformation Hub has been established in Tampere. The Hub has a planned role as a central node and coordinator of activities in the international gHAIR (Global Human-centered AI Research) network.
We help implement Finland’s national AI programme AuroraAI in practice, advancing the development of both public administration and new business opportunities with human-centered AI.
AI Transformation Hub Tampere merges
- A Centre of Excellence for research in the diverse socio-technical aspects of AI transformation
• Tampere University, International Research Partner Network, AI Hub at Tampere University
- A platform for collaborative innovation, R&D, and new business opportunities based on data utilization and AI adoption
• Business clusters and ecosystems coordinated by Business Tampere
- An international showcase for smart city solutions with a world-class test bed and development environment for AI applications
• Extensive experimentation culture and a multitude of physical and digital test beds
• Infrastructure of the City of Tampere, public service portfolio and development programmes
The Tampere AI ecosystem brings together AI expertise and activities in the Tampere Region
Current focus and topical development initiatives
- Data-Driven City for Citizens – a development program of the City of Tampere (2022-2025).
In the heart of the smart city program are the people, citizens, and sustainability, and how to provide AI-based, proactive and automatic services for local residents. The program is driving a human-centric AI transformation through five flagship projects. The approach pf the program is pragmatic, the companies are involved in business activities and connected with research.
Citizens need versatile services that support their wellbeing in different phases of life. Such services have to be accessible, understandable, and trustworthy. Interdisciplinary research findings are the basis for the wellbeing services for the citizens.
AI Transformation Hub supports value creation and transformation
- Promotes Tampere Region as a forerunner in AI transformation and a world-class test bed for co-innovation in AI application.
- Supports AI transformation in public services through focused development initiatives and flagship projects in the smart city development programs.
- Increases understanding of the stakeholders of how to improve well-being and everyday life through the wide-scale use of data and AI.
- Drives digitalisation forward and improves quality and provision of public services by promoting availability and intelligent supply and demand matching.
- Coordinates co-innovation and enables new business opportunities based on AI and data across our business ecosystems.
International collaboration and co-development through gHAIR network
gHAIR (Global Human-centered AI Research) is an international network of AI Transformation clusters, currently under development. The network supports the diverse aspects of AI Transformation through shared information exchange and focused research, innovation and business development activities.
Forms of co-operation:
- Coordination and funding for co-innovation and joint R&D initiatives
- Creating a shared understadning of AI Transformation through information exchange, best practices, governance and operational models
- Facilitating service trials and test beds
Lessons learned in the Finnish artificial intelligence project AuroraAI
- People’s well-being and empowerment needs to be supported by broad cross-sectoral co-operation.
- The customer journeys should be guided by people’s actual life events and corporate business events.
- Digitalisation and usage of AI is vital in improving the smoothness of life and in the ability to anticipate the future.
- Data interoperability needs to be based on new incentive models of the data economy and people’s ability to manage MyData.