Celebrating fast growing companies in Tampere30.1.2020
The fastest growing technology companies in Finland met in Tampere, when Deloitte announced its Technology Fast 50 winners.
Deloitte Technology Fast 50 program lists the 50 fastest growing technology companies in Finland. The rankings are based on the company’s revenue growth over a four year period (2015-2018).
In the Tampere Region the number of growth enterprises has been steadily increasing in all company sizes. Even the number of industrial growth enterprises has turned upward again. Of the region’s companies for instance Unikie, Piceasoft and Framery are on the Fast 50 list.
– It’s great to acknowledge these success stories and highlight growth enterprises that have managed to pull off this tough and resilient development. The Tampere Region offers a splendid location for growth companies, especially in technology because the industrial and ICT knowhow here is exceptionally strong, reflects Niina Immonen, Director, Business Service Development and Business Environment of Business Tampere.
Unikie – driving the change in automotive industry
Unikie’s most important area of expertise is technology needed for autonomous driving – one of the major themes in global automotive industry disruption. According to Unikie CEO Esko Mertsalmi, there are very good opportunities for Finns to take a significant role in the global automotive technology ecosystem.
– That means opportunities to increase exports and related jobs substantially. It is just what we do and what are proud of: Unikie develops autonomous drive for the automotive industry and intelligent machines, and furthermore telecommunications and IT solutions, says Mertsalmi.
A motorist is probably interested in knowing when autonomous driving will become an everyday routine. Technology is already reasonably advanced. Legislation, standardisation and also general attitudes still need a lot of work. Intelligent machines are a faster route to make autonomy happen.
– In restricted environments, for instance mines or harbours, nothing hinders taking up autonomous solutions immediately, Mertsalmi says.
Unikie is a software development company established in Tampere in 2015. The region offers a spirited and product development oriented environment as well as an adequate number of ICT professionals. Operating in the Tampere Region is also supported by the area’s strong knowhow in manufacturing heavy machinery and the growing automotive cluster, which according to Mertsalmi is successful in networking and organising the field.
Being ranked third in the Technology Fast 50 list is a welcome event for the company because everyday work concentrates on looking forward and reaching goals.
– Even now we are in a situation of having to grow more to be able to succeed with a very substantial customer. When the goal is getting further away, it’s good to have a chance to take a little break and notice the successes, Mertsalmi says.
Piceasoft – enabling a market for used phones
The mobile phone trade-in market is growing rapidly throughout the world, as more and more consumers acquire pre-owned devices. The market research agency ICD estimates that in 2023 more than 330 million used phones will switch owners. The circular economy and software company Piceasoft, based in Tampere, is operating on a very promising market. For example its newest product will help circulate millions of mobile devices annually.
– We are offering operators, retailers, maintenance and insurance companies an easy-to-use digital platform to enable the trade-in, reselling and maintenance of pre-owned phones and tablets, states the CEO Pia Kantola.
Piceasoft is strongly present in Europe, gathering up speed to expand on the North American market, and opening up possibilities in Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa. Tampere is an extremely important location for the company, as most of the personnel resides in Tampere and the region was chosen because of the local knowhow.
– In our business the advantage of Tampere is the expertise and reputation grown during the Nokia era. It’s easier to build business where information security is critical, when the customers trust you to begin with, says Kantola.
The international customers of Piceasoft visit Tampere frequently. According to Kantola the trip may often be an exotic experience. The region is easy to reach and it’s possible to impress the visitors with for instance the local restaurant supply.
Framery – the most successful startup in Tampere
Nike, Vodafone, Microsoft, Siemens, Tesla… The list of Framery’s largest customers is impressive, as is the rise of the Tampere-based company to have become an internationally recognised and acknowledged developer of soundproof office equipment.
In 2019 Framery ranked 20th in the Financial Times FT1000 list of the fastest growing companies in Europe, the best Nordic company. There’s good reason to call Framery the most successful startup in Tampere.
The problems of open-plan offices are well known everywhere: the noise reduces productivity and job satisfaction. It’s hard to concentrate on your work if people around you converse and talk on the phone. The founders of Framery used to experience this in their place of employment at the time, and so they came up with a revolutionary business idea – what we need is a phone booth! By now Framery O is the best selling soundproof pod in the world.
– Tampere wants to encourage the growth of enterprises and I think the first Tampere unicorn will emerge from the Technology Fast 50 list, says Niina Immonen of Business Tampere.
DELOITTE TECHNOLOGY FAST 50
The Deloitte Technology Fast 50 program cooperates with the City of Tampere and Business Tampere. The winners were announced in Thu 30th of January 2020 as a part of the Tampere Smart City Week.
Photos: Mirella Mellonmaa